ELGIN TOWN COUNCIL TOWN OF ELGIN, SC.
Mayor Melissa Emmons
Councilman Brad Hanley
Councilwoman Candy Silvers
Councilwoman Dana Sloan
Councilman Ed Smith
ELGIN TOWN COUNCIL MEETING
MINUTES FOR DECEMBER 6TH, 2016
CALL TO ORDER
The monthly meeting of the Elgin Town Council was held Tuesday, December 6th at 6:00pm with Mayor Melissa Emmons presiding.
Present were Mayor Melissa Emmons, Councilman Brad Hanley, Councilman Edward Smith, Councilwoman Candy Silvers, and Councilwoman Dana Sloan
Mayor Emmons gave the invocation.
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
Councilman Brad Hanley led Mayor, Town Council and all others attending the meeting in the Pledge of Allegiance
ACCEPTANCE OF NOVEMBER, 2016 MEETING MINUTES
A motion was made by Councilwoman Candy Silvers to accept the November 1st minutes with a 2nd motion by Councilman Brad Hanley without further discussion and a unanimous vote.
• Councilwoman Candy Silvers wanted to commend everyone involved with the Catfish Stomp parade and Christmas tree lighting as well as the Christmas lights at Potter Park.
• Councilwoman Dana Sloan wanted to thank Jeannie Potter for all her assistance for the holiday drop in and appreciated all the team work. She also noted the cost of the party was $437.87, which was less than years past.
• Councilman Brad Hanley wanted to thank everyone involved in the Catfish Stomp parade and holiday drop in.
• Councilman Ed Smith stated he was happy to see Mr. Paul Towns won Elgin’s Citizen of the Year, as it was very deserving due to all of his hard work for Camp Kemo.
• Mayor Emmons stated everyone worked hard on the Catfish Stomp parade and she appreciated David Spivey and Chief Brown’s assistance with the set up and traffic control. She thanked everyone involved in the holiday drop in and was happy to see everyone coming together to help our community.
Mayor Emmons presented the 2nd reading of Ordinance 232 prohibiting traffic cutting through parking lots. Councilwoman Candy Silvers motioned to accept the 2nd reading of Ordinance 232 prohibiting traffic cutting through parking lots with a 2nd motion by Councilman Brad Hanley without further discussion and a unanimous vote. The fine would not be more than $237.50 or up to 30 days in jail.
Mayor Emmons proposed finalizing what can be done with the Town website and Elgin Police Department website in January 2017.
Councilwoman Dana Sloan gave an update on Potter Park; she thanked Jayme Locklear and Silas Silvers for their assistance in hanging the Christmas lights and thanked Fairfield Electric for hanging additional lights on the Christmas tree. Councilwoman Sloan also stated that due to the Town of Elgin paying for the walking trail in lieu of the State, they will have to follow the Town of Elgin’s procurement procedure and bids will have to be retaken and advertised in the paper as well as software programs.
Chief Greg Beck announced the recent appointments at the Blaney Fire Department. He also gave Mayor and Council members a copy of his departments call log for the month of November
Scott Adams asked that everyone meet in the conference room after adjourning the meeting to sample some of their new dishes from Blaney Backyard Grille.
A motion to adjourn the meeting was made at 6:30pm by Councilman Brad Hanley with a 2nd motion by Councilwoman Dana Sloan, without further discussion and a unanimous vote.
Minutes submitted by Melony Hudson-Martin – December 27th, 2016